WHAT WE DO
- Scholarships – We award scholarships to high school seniors and women advancing their careers. We paid college tuition for a young woman in Uganda through Global African Villages. Internationally, Amelia Earhart Fellowships in aerospace sciences are awarded in honor of the aviator who was a Zontian.
• Assist Women in Developing Countries – In one of our continuing projects, the Grand Island Zonta Club partnered with the Kenmore Zonta Club to make 500 birthing kits, which will be delivered to rural mountain areas in Guatemala to help ensure clean births and decrease maternal and infant deaths there.
- Yellow Rose Day – Each year on March 8, Zonta Yellow Rose Day and International Women’s Day, we honor community women who inspire us through their courage, achievements and community spirit.
- Community Service – We deliver Meals on Wheels and donate to Neighbors Foundation, Relay For Life and the Miracle League, among others.
- Zonta Says No to Violence Against Women – We support the Tribute Garden in Isle View Park, Tonawanda, and we established a sign for domestic violence awareness in Town Commons. We work with the Family Justice Center for victim advocacy. Visit the Tribute Garden website at http://tributegardenwny.org/
International Zonta Projects
- Eliminating obstetric fistula in Liberia.
- Working toward an HIV-free generation in Rwanda.
- Saying no to violence against women.
- Providing start-up funds for women in Third World countries to establish small businesses.
HOW WE DO IT
The Zonta Club of Grand Island's dues support local, district and international community service projects. In addition, we hold annual events that not only raise funds for our projects, but also incorporate our mission of advocacy for women. In this way, we contribute to the vitality and diversity of the Grand Island community. Here are a few of our activities:
- Fashion Show – The spring show features Zonta models, an elegant lunch and raffles to fund our scholarships.
- Community Outreach – You’ll find us at Taste of Grand Island selling our cookbooks and raising funds for our scholarships; or out selling lottery tickets or store coupon books to fund our service projects and raise awareness on women’s issues.